Summer Safety Tips for Your Pets – A Guide from Bloor-Kipling Animal Clinic
Summer is here, and while it brings sunshine and warmth, it also presents some unique challenges for pet owners. As the temperatures rise, it is important to take extra care of our furry friends. At Bloor-Kipling Animal Clinic, we understand that summer can be a difficult time for pets, so we have put together some essential summer safety tips for your pets.
- Stay Hydrated: During the summer months, it is essential to ensure that your pet has access to plenty of fresh water to drink. Carry a water bottle and a collapsible bowl with you whenever you go outside with your pet.
- Protect Your Pet from Heatstroke: Heatstroke is a common problem in pets during the summer months. Pets can easily become overheated, especially if they are left outside in the sun for too long. Make sure your pet has access to a cool, shaded area and plenty of water. Do not leave your pet in a parked car.
- Keep Your Pet Safe from Sunburn: Pets with light-colored coats or sensitive skin are at risk of sunburn. Apply a pet-friendly sunscreen to your pet’s nose, ears, and other exposed areas when they go outside. A hat or t-shirt can also help protect your pet from the sun.
- Beware of Parasites: Fleas, ticks, and other parasites are more active during the summer months. Keep your pet on a preventative medication to protect them from these pests. Talk to your veterinarian about the best options for your pet.
- Watch Out for Poisonous Plants: Many common plants, including lilies, tulips, and daffodils, are toxic to pets. Be aware of what plants are in your garden or in areas where your pet plays.
By following these summer safety tips, you can help ensure that your pets stay happy and healthy all season long. At Bloor-Kipling Animal Clinic, we are dedicated to providing the best possible care for your pets. If you have any concerns about your pet’s health this summer, do not hesitate to contact us. We are always here to help.